Broccoli, Leek and Ginger Detox Soup + Garlic Chickpeas
Ingredients for soup:
2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
1 large leek, sliced and rinsed well
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
6 cups broccoli
6 cups low sodium veggie stock
2-4 tablespoons miso, mixed in some warm water
2-3 cups kale, shredded
½ cup parsley, chopped
Half the garlic chickpeas, from recipe below
½ lemon, juiced
¼ cup light coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Additional garlic chickpeas, for garnish
Ingredients for chickpeas:
1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed well and dried on paper towel
1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes
½ – 1 lemon Juice
Salt and pepper
Handful chopped parsley
- Prepare the chickpeas. Drain and rinse them, then dry them on paper towel.
- Heat oil on medium to high in a heavy pot and add chickpeas and garlic, stirring so the garlic doesn’t stick.
- Season with salt, pepper and ¼ teaspoon chili flakes.
- Cook, stirring often, until the chickpeas are coloured and some are crunchy – add a little more oil if you need to. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Finish with lemon juice and a handful of chopped garlic and season with a little more salt and pepper. Divide in half. Reserve half for remainder of recipe. Refrigerate the other half to top a salad or eat as a snack.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a soup pot and sauté leeks, garlic and ginger for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped broccoli and season, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes
- Add veggie stock and miso. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer, covering and cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Add shredded kale and simmer until it wilts, a few minutes.
- Add half the parsley and half the garlic sautéed chickpeas and lemon juice.
- Puree in a blender, in batches, until smooth. Return to pot.
- Check seasoning, and serve with garlic chickpeas on top and some fresh chopped parsley.